[Gartner IT Symposium / Xpo 2020 Bulletin]
Top Gartner Strategic Technology Trends that will confuse and create great opportunities over the next 5-10 years. The trends are based on the idea of ”people-centric smart spaces”. This means considering the impact of these technologies on people (ie, customers, employees) and where they live (ie, homes, offices, cars).
The Gartner IT Symposium / Xpo 2020 was held online for the first time from October 19th to 22nd, 2020. Gartner’s announcement is an important indicator for grasping trends, but this year, especially due to the influence of the new coronavirus, it is difficult to predict the future, so many people are not paying more attention to it. Is not it. Under such circumstances, I would like to introduce the points of 2021 at once regarding the annual “strategic technology trend”.
Three major themes for 2021
“People” is the center of technology (People centricity)
- People’s work styles and lifestyles have changed significantly due to the effects of the new coronavirus, but “people” such as employees and customers remain the center of technology.
- It is important not only to improve the customer experience but also to improve the satisfaction of employees and partners with the power of technology.
- As the new coronavirus accelerates remote work rapidly, it is important to utilize technology to create an environment where customers, employees, and partners can safely do business remotely.
- Making full use of technologies such as AI, creating and operating a system and organizational structure that enables quick decisions in everything will lead to an acceleration of business.
It is said that these three themes do not move independently of each other, but it is important to strengthen the relationship with each other. Combining these trends will be a new guide for the organization over the next five years.
In the presentation, three keywords were listed for each theme. From here, we will introduce the main points announced in each keyword.
1: “People” is the center of technology (People centricity)
Data conversion of all behaviors (Internet of Behaviors)
IOB same as IoT internet of behaviors trend by Gartner!
- IoB (Internet of Behaviors) is to recognize human behavior from various sources and acquire the data.
- In the Wiz Corona era, we will collect data on whether we are wearing masks, maintaining social distance, and having no fever, using image recognition technology.
- Since IoB also contains personally identifiable information, it has socially and ethically important and broad implications, so the organization that practices it must have a clear purpose and careful response.
Gartner Strategic Technology Trend By 2024, companies offering total experience will outperform their competitors in customer and employee satisfaction metrics by 25%.
- Total-experience is to create a better overall experience for stakeholders by linking each of the four experiences: user experience (UX), customer experience (CX), employee experience (EX), and multi-experience (MX).
- If an organization optimizes all experiences, it will have a great opportunity to differentiate itself from its competitors. For example, if you want to avoid face-to-face conversations as much as possible during the Wise Corona course, you can contact (by providing an experience) by providing tools such as mobile apps that allow customers and employees to communicate. Increase each other. Maso) and customers can improve both their experience and work experience.
Gartner Strategic Technology Trend By 2025, 50% of large companies will enhance the privacy of the data they handle
- A large amount of personal data obtained through IoB etc. is used for business by analyzing the data.
- Companies that handle such data must enhance their privacy in the process from collection to analysis.
- It will be required to strengthen privacy while making full use of technologies such as differential privacy, homomorphic encryption, secret calculation technology, and zero-knowledge proof.
2: Location independence
Gartner Strategic Technology Trend By 2025, more than 50% of companies will leverage distributed clouds to transform their business models
- Decentralized clouds are offered as an option for public clouds.
- In the future, while using public clouds as the main cloud, clouds installed in physically different locations such as IoT Edge Cloud and Global network edge cloud will be used to deal with data placement issues related to latency and region-specific laws. You will be using the environment.
- By using a decentralized cloud, it is possible to avoid the costly use of a private cloud and create an environment for accelerating business.
Gartner Strategic Technology Trend By 2023, 40% of organizations will improve employee productivity and customer service by combining virtual and real experiences.
- With “digital-first, remote-first” as the keywords, it is important to provide employees with an environment where they can work from anywhere and to be able to support customers wherever they are.
- It is necessary not only to provide an environment for working remotely by utilizing digital technology but also to provide customers and employees with a unique and value-added experience while maintaining security and governance.
- Cybersecurity Mesh
- By 2025, Cyber Security Mesh will support more than half of data communications
- Cyber Security Mesh is a decentralized architecture for flexible and reliable security control.
- Due to the influence of the new coronavirus, various digital assets that were previously physically in the office are now used outside the office, such as at the homes of employees. Therefore, security to protect digital assets has become more important.
- In a situation where the working environment is changing rapidly, it is required to prepare a secure security environment without hindering the business transformation of the organization. It has already been set up on a certain scale by major companies.
3: Quick and flexible decision (Resilient Delivery)
Build a business based on data (Intelligent compassable Business)
Gartner Strategic Technology Trend By 2023, organizations can build their business based on data and flexible reviews. Their decision-making processes will be 80% faster than their competitors in implementing new services.
- When an event has a major impact on the business. Such as the spread of the new coronavirus, occurs. The traditional decision-making process cannot adapt quickly to change and lags behind.
- When restructuring the decision-making process. It is important to have access to the analyzed data. To add new insights to the accessed data. And to create a process that enables quick decision-making.
Gartner Strategic Technology Trend By 2023. At least 50% of IT leaders will be struggling to implement AI-powered forecasting in their businesses.
- AI projects often fail due to various issues such as scalability and governance.
- Three core pillars (DataOps, ModelOps, DevOps) are required to build an AI system that can be used in business. Unless we understand and work on these three pillars, it will be difficult to build an AI system.
- DataOps: A method of creating an in-house culture and organization that allows data users and managers. To collaborate so that data users can obtain the data they need when they need it.
- DevOps: A method that combines software development and operation to shorten the system development life cycle. And provide continuous delivery with high software quality.
- ModelOps: A method that aims to produce high-quality results while maximizing the speed of the development process. (development → verification → improvement → implementation).
Gartner Strategic Technology Trend By 2024, companies will be able to reduce operating costs by 30% by combining the use of automation technology with redesigned business processes.
- Hyper-automation is the use of tools such as AI, ML (machine learning), and RPA (robotic process automation) to automate the work done by humans.
- Many companies are already working on automation for routine tasks within the company. But if we spread the business processes with business partners, including those outside the company. There are still many processes that can be automated. In the future. It will be necessary to expand the scope of automation in cooperation with business partners.
- Of course, the risks that arise from expanding the scope of coverage also increase, but this trend cannot be stopped.
Nissho USA attention point
This Gartner Strategic Technology Trend has the impression that it incorporates new keywords created by the influence of the new coronavirus from last year’s trend. Rather than a new trend being transmitted. Among them, I paid attention to hyper-automation. This was part of last year’s trend. But it gave me a new insight into the idea of working with business partners to expand the scope of automation.
Not just internal business processes. There is a good possibility that a series of internal and external processes can be automated in business processing processes. Such as ordering and invoices. And I feel that there may be new business opportunities in the part where the system is linked.